Unlike an Unrepresented Party, as a Client of a real estate professional, BC Realtors owe you the following special legal duties:
- Loyalty: they must put your interests first.
- Avoid conflicts of interest: any situation that affects their duty to act in your best interest must be avoided.
- Full disclosure: they must provide all information they know that may affect your decisions.
- Confidentiality: they cannot reveal your private information without your permission.
In British Columbia, licensed Realtors provide their services through brokerages. Ie: Pemberton Holmes, Remax or Royal LePage, etc.
When you become a client, the agreement that you sign is with the brokerage.
Depending on the Brokerage you choose, you will be represented in one of two ways:
- Brokerage Agency: all Realtors employed by the brokerage represent you. They are bound by the same legal duties described above.
- Designated Agent: Only your chosen Realtor represents you. They cannot share your confidential information with other Brokerage agents without your permission.